Saturday, January 12, 2013

Gems From the Treasury: January 7-11, 2013

Christ is baptized!  This week's quotes on Gems From the Treasury come from the Proslogion (Proslogium) of St. Anselm of Canterbury.

1/7/13: "I will long after Thee in seeking Thee, I will find Thee by loving Thee, I will love Thee in finding Thee."--Proslogion I
1/8/13: "[My soul] is both darkened in itself, and dazzled by Thee...it is both obscured by its own insignificance, and overwhelmed by Thy infinity."--Proslogion IV
1/9/13: "If there are many great delights in delectable things, what and how great is the delight in Him Who has made these delectable things."--Proslogion XXIV
1/10/13: "Love the one good in which are all goods, and it sufficeth....There, there is whatever ye love, whatever ye desire."--Proslogion XXV
1/11/13: "I pray, O God, to know thee, to love thee, that I may rejoice in thee...may I at least advance...until that joy shall come to the full."--Proslogion XXVI

Next week's quotes are from Book III of the Stromateis (Miscellanies) by St. Clement of Alexandria.  Though this section of the work is heavily centered on discussing marriage (with, for instance, Chapters 1-53 of Book III refuting various heresies that disparage the body, marriage, or the marital act), the quotes I am selecting are more general quotes about living the Christian life, particularly in the moral realm.

St. Anselm of Canterbury, pray for us!



Nota Bene: All the quotes from St. Anselm's Proslogion come from the edition of his Basic Writings translated by S.N. Deane and published by Open Court Classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment