Sunday, July 31, 2011

E-scribe to Escrivá



"Read these counsels slowly.
Pause to meditate on these thoughts.

They are things that I whisper in your

ear--confiding them--as a friend, as a
brother, as a father.

And they are being heard by God.

I won't tell you anything new.

I will only stir your memory,

so that some thought will arise
and strike you;

and so you will better your life

and set out along ways of prayer
and of Love.

And in the end you will be
a more worthy soul."
--Prologue to The Way

St. Josemaría Escrivá is a 20th-century Spanish saint who founded Opus Dei (which has gotten an unfairly bad rap due to its inclusion in Dan Brown's infamous The Da Vinci Code). As the Wikipedia article states (bad source, I know), Opus Dei "teaches that everyone is called to holiness and that ordinary life is a path to sanctity." These teachings are found in the saint's writings, which I and may others have drawn inspiration from. His works are separated into many tiny sections, each with only a paragraph or two of writing. Yet these simple passages are profound and inspiring.

I'm offering you a chance to receive inspiration from St. Josemaría Escrivá. I have three of his works: The Way, Furrow, and The Forge. Each day (or as close to each day as I can: I'm not perfect!) I'll send out a passage from one of these works to provide inspiration for your spiritual journey with Jesus Christ. Just click the link below to send me an e-mail, and I'll add you to my list. I hope this project is helpful to you!

Due to copyright concerns, this mailing list is no longer active.  

St. Josemaría Escrivá, pray for us!

An icon of St. Josemaría Escrivá by Orthodox iconographer Alexander Sokolov (1960-2015), found in the Opus Dei centers in Moscow.  
Image Source: Pensar por libre
 

Nota Bene: I'll be using the Scepter Publisher's one-volume edition of the saint's three works listed above for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment